Total Pageviews

Friday, January 21, 2011

Who's the student?

I sometimes wonder.

As the teacher, I feel that my students look to me to have answers to their every question (some of them are quite ridiculous).  However, I find myself leaving each day of school exhausted physically and emotionally. I'm finding that they are teaching me so much more about myself than I ever dreamed. I guess I expected to go into that classroom and change them.  I'm finding that I am the one who is needing changed as well. As I have stated earlier, patience is not my strong point (just ask anyone who knows me...). In this position, I have had to develop more patience than I ever dreamed. I am still working on this, and find times in my day where I need to remind myself that they are only 5th graders. I have felt more foreheads, solved more fights, and counted down from 5 more times than I ever dreamed humanly possible.  I feel like a mom to these 25 little "cherubs".  It's funny how I can't even tell when a forehead has a fever or not...guess someone hasn't developed their "mom feeling" on that one! :)

I really think this position is giving me a chance to grow foremost as a person and secondly as a teacher. I have constant encouragement from my colleagues, which makes it easier for me to get out of bed after a rough day. I am so grateful for all of the people I have met in Indy who have helped to make my transition here a lot easier. It's so much better when you have people to vent to and laugh with!

As I close, I am sitting here in Starbucks thinking of all the people who have told me they read my blog. It's funny that here I am sitting in Anderson, drinking my caramel machiatto, and just finished grading a stack of writing assessments and there you are, the reader, sitting reading my thoughts and feelings on something so personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment